by Michael McCarthy • January 13, 2015 • Comments Off on Year End Update
WRITE TO READ PROJECT UPDATE – JANUARY 1, 2015
Library already installed
- Toosey (Williams Lake Daybreak, Langley Central Rotary Clubs)
- Yunesitin (Williams Lake, Sechelt & Commerce City Colorado Rotary Clubs)
- Halalt (Steveston Rotary Club)
- Old Masset (Langley Central Rotary Club)
- Bella Bella (Steveston Rotary Club)
- Wuikinuxv – Rivers Inlet (North Vancouver Lionsgate)
- Malahat (South Cowichan Rotary Club)
- Fort Rupert (Burnaby Metrotown, Port McNeil, Port Hardy Rotary Clubs)
- Ditidaht (North Delta Rotary Club)
- Metlakatla (Steveston Rotary Club)
On the Radar – to be visited before the end of 2015
- Nemiah (to be visited)
- Klemtu (to be visited)
- Tsay Key Deneh (North Williston Lake to be visited)
- Kwadatcha (North Williston Lake to be visited)
- Lx’Kwalaams (Prince Rupert – visited and plans are now being made for the library)
- New Aiyansh (Initial discussions have taken place – planning for the team to visit the community)
- Tl’entinqox (Anaham Chilcotin) – agreement to install community library when new school and library are built. Construction in progress.
- Toquaht (Uclulet, Vancouver Island) – to be visited request made by community to assist them with a library.
- Nooaitch – visiting community in December 2014 plus meeting with Merritt Rotary Clubs (Merritt Sunrise to work with the community Dec 4th)
- Snuneymuxw (Nanaimo) First Nations. – Community to be visited; building will come from the Oak Bay Tennis Club. W2R project engineer to examine the buildings; more work to be done with potential Rotary Club to adopt the community.
Sponsors & Partners
- Britco Structures
- BC Ferries
- U-LOCK Mini Storage
- TLD Computers (London Drugs)
- Bandstra Transportation
- Hewlett Packard
- Investors Group
- Western Buildings
- BC Hydro
- Frontier College
- Success By 6
- Accent Inns
- BC Corrections Service
First Nations communities benefited from Dental Clinics
- Penelakut Island
- Alexis Creek
Planned Dental Clinics for 2015
Clinics are in the planning process for July 2015 at DITIDAHT (Vancouver Island) and ANAHAM (Chilcotin – Williams Lake)
BC Corrections Service, Vancouver Island and Nanaimo Correctional facilities have agreed to build furniture for all new libraries.
Summer Literacy Camps
Frontier College has partnered with W2R to conduct summer literacy camps at all of the communities libraries have been installed. These camps are set to start in summer of 2015.
All 12 of the buildings donated by BRITCO have been assigned to communities. We just have to work through the process of getting the buildings and books to the communities. By the end of 2015 BRITCO will be donating 4 more modules as a result of sponsoring the 2015 Canada Winter Games in Prince George. There is more interest from Rotary Clubs as there are communities. Total modules from BRITCO 16.
Approximate value of all buildings so far: $1,200,000.00
Total number of books sent and sorted to libraries so far: 35,000
Total number of computers 27.
The impact of the libraries: Priceless!